This one was tricky! I had to disassemble part of it because it wasn’t a square first time I finished it. It still looks wonky now, but it looks more or less like a square, so this block is declared finished! Or as the people in the Dear Jane facebook group I’m a member of say: kiss it and put it on the pile.
The thing that made this block so tricky is that every piece has a different shape. Yes, you read that correctly. I think this is the most confusing Dear Jane block I’ve made so far, which naturally means that I also loved making it. Challenges are great, and exactly why I started this quilting journey.
For the star in the middle I used a variation of foundation piecing, using a background fabric where the pieces are sewn onto. This technique allows for accuracy in tricky designs.
An added benefit of that I discovered is that foundation piecing ‘hides’ away all the seams, because they are tucked away between the background and the fabric in view. This is a very nice discovery, because usually it is very tricky to deal with all the seams when making a block with so many little pieces, because all the seams tend to get in the way. For sure I will be using this trick more in the future!
This block is part of the bigger ‘Dear Jane’ quilting project I am working on. Here is the introduction post: Dear Jane introduction.
See my DeviantArt account for more artwork and WIPs. You can also follow my blog by clicking on the button on the left or by filling in your email address. A new post will be uploaded every Sunday/Monday-ish, with often a Monthly Update as last post of the month.